We’re back! We spent the last 3 days camping at Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware. We had hot sunny weather and lots of new experiences with the kids. Every year they surprise me a little with what they are capable of, whether it is keeping up on their bikes or teaching me a new card game (and winning!).
Our last night was interrupted by severe thunderstorms. We had to literally shake the kids awake and run to our van for cover. After about 40 minutes the worst of it passed and we regrouped back in the tent for the rest of the night. Ah…nothing like mother nature!
Here’s a random list and a few photos of our days away…
- Relaxing on the beach, watching the kids body surf for the first time
- Getting a wonderful case of sunny, salty, windblown beach hair
- Meeting a few jellyfish and feeling the sting
- Setting up camp with kids old enough to pitch in and help
- Stretching out in the hammock after the hard work of setting up camp
- Card games, reading and knitting
- Eating the best tasting blueberry pancakes and turkey bacon, alfresco
- Getting more bug bites than you can imagine
- Riding bikes from our campsite to the beach
- Visiting the fishing pier to see the catch of the day
- Climbing a WWII observation tower for an incredible view of the park
- Collecting shells stones and beach glass
- Digging for little sand crabs at the edge of the surf
- Seeing dolphins swimming in the wild!
- Taking a sunset stroll to the beach to look for horseshoe crabs
- Observing lightning in the distance as a storm approaches
- Creating great family memories
- Hugging happy, tired, dirty kids!
Hoping you find time this summer for a little magic and mother nature for yourselves!