Today’s the first day of our Entomologie Stitch-along, yippee! We’re going to start working on our appliqué bugs from my pattern Summer Flies By. If you still are in need of the pattern, you can find the PDF in my shop. Our aim today is to gather tools and supplies.
The first thing you’ll need to do is print out your pattern templates for the 3 bugs: Moth, Dragonfly and Bee. (If you’ve purchased my kit, you’ll have the bonus beetle pattern already printed out as it was included exclusively with the kit, which is now sold out!) Instead of making a banner for our bugs, as seen on the pattern cover, we’re going to mount each bug in a 6″ embroidery hoop.
• Templates – print
• Paper scissors – For cutting out templates
• Pencil – for tracing
• Freezer Paper (or Light Weight Double-sided Fusible Webbing)
• Craft glue – I like Aileens tacky glue
• Glue stick (optional)
• Press cloth
• (3-4) 9” x 9” pieces of linen, canvas or quilting cotton
• Multiple 3” x 3” scraps of wool or felt for appliqués in: White, lime green, teal, aqua, coral, yellow, dark green, blue, etc.
• Embroidery floss in: Summery colors that coordinate and contrast with your scraps
• Embroidery scissors
• Embroidery needle
• Vanishing ink marker
• 3-4 wooden embroidery hoops, 6” in diameter
• Sewing Thread
• (3-4) 7” x 7” pieces of wool blend felt for backing the hoop OR one 12″ x 18″ piece of felt (as supplied in the kits)
By the way, although my kits are all sold out, I am now taking a new round of pre-orders for the 12 piece Entomologie Fabric Sets. So while I’m not providing the coordinating felt, floss, etc, if you find your heart set on getting your hands on this fabric, now is your chance! (Larger fat quarters and yardage available too!) Ship date is the first week of July, however, so it won’t be available for the stitch-along until later. But you can access these blog posts anytime!
Ok, so go gather your stuff! Please let me know if you have any questions either here or over in the School of Wool Facebook Group. We’ll start cutting out and assembling on Wednesday!